If you suspect a child has been abused…
- Keep calm.
- Tell the child you believe them.
- Show interest and concern.
- Reassure and support the child.
- Take action. It could save a child’s life.
- Panic or overreact.
- Pressure the child.
- Confront the offender.
- Blame the child or minimize the child’s feelings.
- Overwhelm the child with questions.
- Suspicion of abuse is all that is necessary to file a report
- Your information can be given anonymously
- You will be asked to describe your concerns about the child and it will be helpful if you can provide: the child’s name, age, address, gender, school attended (if possible), and names of parents.